Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Whoa! Time OUT!

The discussion in our house this week has been about discipline. We have an 18month old who is very busy and primarily interested in testing his boundaries lately. My husband & mother-in-law think he's ready to be introduced to the concept of "Time Out". What?!? My baby? No way! A few days ago I adamantly refused to even consider it. Then...well....then came the cell phone smashing tirade, the cheese up the nose trick (yes, I have pictures), the "let's pull the dog's ear off" challenge, the run from mommy into the street and then laugh hysterically incident and the new fun game of ripping the phone/internet cord out of the wall and whipping the dog with it repeatedly! I know you mothers out there are thinking "redirect him", "give him something else to focus on" (besides the poor dogs) yeah, yeah, I hear you, you're preaching to the choir here! My professional background includes a few years as an educator for early childhood development professionals. So, why all of a sudden am I questioning the teachings of most ECH experts & years of research clearly stating that the earliest age "Time Out" can be effective is 2 yrs? Well, #1 The experts haven't met my son & #2 I'm not sure how much more the dogs are willing to take!
Seriously, though I'm still not convinced he's ready for Time Out, my resolve is quickly weakening. I found myself Googling Time Out chairs today and I've got my eye on one shaped like a dog (appropriate don't you think?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh My! Not Jax! That cute little boy?? Time out?? Mmmmm. I'm thinking he'll be showing Paige some of his stunts all too soon! Perhaps you should get a two-seater time out chair! LOL